Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why I'm running for Water Board

For almost 40 years I have been proud to call Joshua Tree home. Now I am running for the Joshua Basin Water District board. As a long-term resident and small business owner, I want to ensure that our water district continues to protect our water supplies. It also must be fiscally-responsible and professionally managed.

I am a member of the Joshua Basin Water District Citizens’ Advisory Committee. I have studied water issues in our area and have worked closely with JBWD staff. Our community deserves and expects responsible management of water resources. We want reasonable rates and a customer-oriented, problem-solving administration and staff.

My goal as a board member is to continue the water board's tradition of strong professional leadership. We must work together to make sure that the District keeps its promises to our customers for generations to come.

As a member of the board, I will:
* Provide clean, affordable water to our customers.
We must work to continue the water district’s tradition of delivering high quality, clean water to the existing 5,500 connections.
* Protect our aquifer.
We need to ensure that future businesses and residents enjoy the same quality services that we enjoy today.
* Plan for Joshua Tree's future needs.
Prioritize replenishing groundwater in the aquifer to guarantee our supplies for the future. I believe we must take the steps now to protect our aquifer from over-drafting so that everyone has a reliable water supply, not just today, but for many years to come.
* Be fiscally responsible to ensure a strong, sustainable district.
The community has the resources and tools to keep JBWD strong and sustainable. We will need to make smart and sustainable decisions about water conservation and recycling to stretch our supplies.
* Treat all our customers fairly.
That includes setting fair rates, such as the tiered rates established in 2007, and requiring developers to pay the costs for the infrastructure for their projects. New developments cannot be allowed to impact the water supply of the district's existing customers nor should the rate payers of the district subsidize their developments.

As I have shown by my service as Chair of the Joshua Tree Municipal Advisory Council and as a member of the Joshua Basin Water District Citizens’ Advisory Committee, I am committed to improving the District’s relationship with its residents, and to continuing to conduct its responsibilities in accordance with high ethical standards.

On your Water District board, I will work with my fellow board members to keep your water costs affordable. Most importantly, I will provide leadership to protect and maintain a quality water supply and services.

Mickey

No comments:

Post a Comment